Monday, February 4, 2013

A Bit of Winter Biking!

I spent the weekend biking in the snow on the canal trail.  I put in quite a few miles and really had a blast.  Below are some of the things that I saw:

I went to the Lock 21 area by Wyannet and found a great area where the water had not frozen.  There were 6 eagles there that all flew away as I rode closer.  There were also crows everywhere!

 American Crow Print

A not so great photo of an American Eagle print.  Had a little trouble getting focused because I fell thorough the ice:)  It'll have to do until next time.

Sunday, I rode to the Lock 26 area down to the Green River foot bridge.  I love this area and always find something of interest.

I found some pretty strange tracks and need some help with identifying (Trailblazer, are you there?).  Basically, this slide print was in the aqueduct 15 feet down, so I couldn't get a closer look.  I only had my point and shoot camera and couldn't zoom closer, and the tracks around the slide were not identifiable.


The only critter around my area that I can think of that slides like this is an otter.  Not sure what the little dug-out area is.  Just outside of the bottom of the picture is open water.

On the way back, just as I got back to the parking area, I see this big furry butt sticking out from a tree:)  It made me laugh as it was shifting back and forth trying to get further into the tree hollow.


I made some squeaking noises with my mouth and finally got the raccoon to turn around.


After a couple of shots, he took off higher into the tree.  After his hollow in the tree was revealed, I couldn't help but laugh even more.  He was really trying to fit a lot into a little tiny hole!


I look forward to a bit warmer weather so I can bring my good camera with on my bike rides.  It was just too darned cold to take it this weekend.  I have to admit the little waterproof Nikon point and shoot still gets the job done.






1 comment:

  1. I thought the same thing at first, but this just looks different from opossum tracks that I have found. The raccoon was pure luck. I never see them like this in the daytime. Thanks for chiming in Casey.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete